Ginkgo biloba – leaf
Ginkgo is one of the top selling botanicals and most well researched herbs in the world. Currently it is used clinically to treat a range of circulatory disorders and dementia. Modern research suggests that ginkgo extracts have the ability to positively effect blood flow and therefore increase blood flow and nutrient delivery. This is especially true of the microvasculature, such as the capillaries, which is the site of most nutrient delivery and waste disposal.
The chemical composition of ginkgo is very complex and so far more than 170 compounds have been isolated. The total extract has been found to be more active than any single isolated component which suggests synergism among the various components.
Primary: anti-PAF (platelet activating factor) activity, antioxidant, tissue perfusion enhancer.
Secondary: circulatory stimulant, nootropic, neuroprotective, anxiolytic, adaptogen.
- Support for healthy blood flow to the brain and periphery.
- Support for healthy vision.
- Support for improved concentration, memory, cognitive performance.
- Support for healthy peripheral nerve function.
Contra-indications and Cautions
- Antiplatelet activity may theoretically potentiate antiplatelet or anticoagulant medication, however, clinical studies and meta-analysis found no increased risk of increased bleeding (no effect on INR, haemorrhage, or bruising.
- May decrease efficacy of anticonvulsant medication (case report) and HIV non-nucleoside transcriptase (case report).
- May potentiate the efficiency of antipsychotic medication for schizophrenia.
- May enhance hypoglycaemic activity of metformin, pioglitazone and glipizide.
- Effect on benzodiazepines unlikely to be clinically significant. May interact with nifedipine (headaches, dizziness and hot flushed reported).
- Interaction with statins and other cholesterol-lowering drugs unlikely to be clinically significant.
Administration and Dosage
The analysis of contents below is a guide only, product specific data including expiry date is with the item in the shop.
Ginkgo biloba 3:2. Each 1 ml contains 1500mg of dry herb.
Liquid extract in 55% ethanol. Use 20 to 50 ml weekly.
Our clinic uses fluid extracts from Optimal Rx, Herbal Extract Company, Nutrition Care, Mediherb or Sunray Botanicals, in this order.
Elderly patients – convalescence, support cancer patients undergoing conventional treatment
Poor cognitive function – early stage dementia, Alzheimer’s, depression, anxiety and related disorders, stress, attention and short term memory loss. Memory and concentration support for students during exams and study.
Diabetes related nerve system damage – diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration, wound healing.
Poor blood circulation – cerebral insufficiency, coronary heart disease, hypotension, peripheral vascular disease, palpitations, stroke, angina, atherosclerosis, deep vein thrombosis, varicose veins. Impotency, low male fertility, premenstrual syndrome, mastalgia.
Other – tinnitus, hearing loss, vertigo, headache, migraine, mental fatigue, restless leg syndrome, trigeminal neuralgia. Altitude sickness, low oxygen levels, Raynaud syndrome.